[Dovecot] dovecot -n - provide sys info too? - WAS: Re: Dovecot read only for users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 29 19:39:19 EET 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 06:51 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 10/26/2008, Bill Cole (dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com) wrote:
> > As the Dovecot website says in reference to this mailing list, you
> > should specify your Dovecot version, your OS and version (and with
> > Linux, the specific distribution,) your CPU architecture (not
> > everyone uses x86,) the type of filesystem you are using for
> > mailboxes, and "dovecot -n" output.
>
> Maybe 'dovecot -n' could also provide basic system info (it already does
> for the dovecot version)? I know the command varies depending on said
> architecture, but for most systems it could probably easily figure this out?
>
> Just a thought...

Added. Now it prints:

# 1.1.5: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26 x86_64 Debian lenny/sid ext3

I added Linux distro checks for printing the first line from:

/etc/redhat-release
/etc/SuSE-release
/etc/mandriva-release
/etc/fedora-release
/etc/debian_version

First however it checks for /etc/lsb-release and if it exists, prints
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION contents. I guess Ubuntu is the only distro
currently using that file..

The filesystem is looked up by getting the mount information for the
directory in mail_location. That's not correct in all setups, but
probably correct for most.

Any other suggestions that I could add before 1.1.6 release, which I'm
really trying to release today? :)