[Dovecot] Backing Up

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 30 00:18:16 EET 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

>>> I usually just rsync the /home directories to another server. The
>>> inital sync
>>> can take a while, but it gets faster after there is a base to work
>>> from.
>>
>>    ...and it's much less painful if you're using maildir instead of
>> mbox!
>
> Not for rsyncing. Tons of small files means much slower rsync.

   Due to connection turnaround latency, I assume?  (I've never
looked at the rsync protocol)  If that's the case, then I stand very
much corrected, thank you.  I was going from the same logic regarding
mbox vs. maildir in the context of backups.  One new message
delivered and a 400MB mail spool gets backed up again..

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL