[Dovecot] dovecot expire doesn't work (?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 31 18:14:29 EET 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 17:50 +0100, LÉVAI Dániel wrote:
> > The "/" hardcoding only means the "%" wildcard matching, meaning if
> > you've a mailbox "foo/bar" then "%" would match only "foo" part, but
> > if you've a mailbox "foo.bar" then "%" would match the full
> > "foo.bar". In any case you'll need to use the separator you've
> > configured in your namespaces.
> Where have I configured that? I'm just using maildir: in the
> mail_location,

If you haven't configured any namespaces, Dovecot will use the default
namespace with the default maildir separator (dot).

> and if I create a subdirectory with my MUA, in the
> server on the filesystem it will separate it from the parent with a
> dot. Is this configurable?

No. The filesystem separator is always a dot. But you can configure the
"virtual separator" with namespaces, i.e. what the clients will see and
what you'll use in configuration files to specify the mailbox names.

> > > Yep, now I can understand that, but what *is* weird, that the
> > > only "debug" information comes from this expire-tool when ran with
> > > the --test option. If I run it without it, it won't output anything
> > > anywhere. It would be nice to increase the logging for this (with
> > > or without the --test option), eg. when mail_debug=yes.
> >
> > What should it write? I guess -v parameter could do something.
> > mail_debug=yes could affect the plugin's logging.
> I think, it should display that it found an "expire = something" entry
> in dovecot.conf, and that it could find a matching directory under the
> mail_location. While iterating over the messages that it has found, it
> would be nice if it would write an info line with each message,
> including the message's path/name,

Printing the message's path works only with maildir. Expire plugin works
also with mbox. It could print message's UID number though.

> the message's expire date in the
> future, that it has been expunged, or that it would have been expunged,
> but the --test option was set.

I'll see about adding these.