[Dovecot] Read-only FS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 1 19:08:21 EEST 2008

On Sep 1, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Radomir Zoltowski wrote:

> Imagine an NFS mounted read-only file system containing directories
> full of plain mboxes. Any recommendations on how to approach the
> access with dovecot?
>
> I believe all NFS recommended options apply, how about index/cache
> files though? Can I switch them off deliberately for good?
> Performance degradation is not an issue.

Sure you can disable them, but if you're going to be using IMAP
clients to access them the UIDVALIDITY values will change all the time
which will cause clients to download the messages (or headers at
least) again every time a mailbox is selected.

You could also store the index files on local disks and preserve
UIDVALIDITY.