[Dovecot] authorizing users

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 23:50:31 EEST 2008

Im trying to clarify if I understand correctly about authorizing users.

"The simplest login method is sending the user login info in plain
text and allowing access only to users that already have UNIX access
(ie. in /etc/passwd) to the machine dovecot is running on."

Im using fetchmail postfix dovecot on my own personal computer to get
my mail from two servers. What Im wanting to understand is, is this
saying that since I am already a user on my own system, that by using
/etc/passwd that I would use my username and password in say
thunderbird to login to dovecot to get my mail?