[Dovecot] Public (Shared Folders) ACL Questions

Thu Sep 4 10:07:52 EEST 2008

I'm trying to set up a public namespace so that a set of IMAP folders
are available to all staff - similar to MS Exchange Public Folders.

I've managed to set up the namespace correctly but I'm having trouble
with the ACLs. The global ACL file is the only method I can get to work.

All I want to do is to allow 1 user admin privileges to create & delete
anything but all other users should only be able to create not delete.
Reading through the mailing list I thought a /etc/dovecot-acls/.DEFAULT
file would be suitable but what should be put in here to achieve what I
want? Are you able to use wildcards somehow within this file, i.e.:
owner lrwstiekxa
user=admin at domain.com lrwstiekxa
user=*@domain.com lrw

Does this .DEFAULT file only apply to the public (shared) namespace or
will it effect private mailboxes also?

If I was to create a specific global acl file for a specific folder
which would take precedence, the .DEFAULT acls or the specific folder
acls?

Also an "INBOX" is shown within the public folders namespace but no
folder exists in the public folders maildir hierarchy - any ideas how I
can stop this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gavin