[Dovecot] Time Moved Backwards Error Keeps Happening

JackyC at umac.mo JackyC at umac.mo
Fri Sep 5 05:16:44 EEST 2008

Hi all,

I am running dovecot version 1.1.1 (dovecot --version) and keeps to have
time moved backwards problem.
I first found dovecot dead without obvious error message, but see the
following when restart dovecot service by

# service dovecot restart

>Stopping Dovecot Imap:         [FAILED]
>Starting Dovecot Imap: Warning: Last died with error (see error log for
more information): Time just moved backwards by 4398 seconds. This might
cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill myself now.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards                              [
OK  ]

I followed the above official wiki link and apply the ntpd service for
adjusting the server timestamp. After running the ntpd service, I found
the server timestamp drift is only 14.333 microsecond, I think which would
be reasonable.

But I still get the captioned error. Does anyone have the same experience?
BTW, I couldn't find the error log message even I confirmed the info,
error and debug log file by visiting this wiki document
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging, does it really not log at the log file? I
can just keep monitoring the log and use the following command to
determine whether dovecot is running or not.

# service dovecot status

Thank you very much!

Yours Sincerely,
Jacky, Hoi Kei Chan,