[Dovecot] Annotation plugin for dovecot

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Fri Sep 5 18:33:53 EEST 2008

On 05.09.2008, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> that the kolab server will switch from imap cyrus to imap dovecot someday?

This came up on the kolab-devel mailing list recently too:
http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-devel/2008-July/009314.html

The upshot is that there are no concrete plans to actually replace cyrus with
dovecot in the Kolab server anytime soon.  However, we have a customer who
wants to use Kolab and doesn't want to migrate from dovecot to cyrus due to
better support for NFS in dovecot, among other things.  We'll have to see how
this works out, but to me it seems likely that dovecot may become an optional
part of Kolab.

> Would you please explain in simple words what the plugin is good for
> i.e in what setup scenario it might be used ( in the future ) or what
> you goaling for, the imap metadata rfc is strongly tec stuf i dont
> understand partly

Basically, the metadata extension allows IMAP clients to associate metadata in
the form of key/value pairs with mailboxes.  Kolab uses this to indicate
which mailboxes contain Groupware data, such as events or contacts, and other
related information.  Unlike many other groupware solutions, Kolab doesn't
store such information in databases, but in emails in IMAP mailboxes to
increase scalability.  Much of the intelligence of the Kolab system is in the
clients and the Kolab server mostly just has to transfer Emails.

Regards,

   Bernhard