[Dovecot] Error starting dovecot

Diego Ledesma diegofl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 02:09:07 EEST 2008

Hello,
I have a linux system (Ubuntu 7.04 server edition) running Postfix 2.3.8
Today i installed Dovecot through apt-get (got version 1.0.rc17
installed) and configured it to do sasl auth only, (i already have
other pop3,smtp and imap servers running) following the howto's at
dovecot.org
The thing is that if i try to start dovecot or run dovecot -n i get
Error: Can't use mail executable /usr/lib/dovecot/imap: No such file
or directory

That directory does not exist but why should it if i don't want to run
dovecot as imap?
I only installed dovecot-common package.
Also, i setted protocols to "none".

Does anyone know why i get that error message?

One last comment. Before installing dovecot on the production mail
server i installed it on my laptop's linux (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) for
testing purposes.
The testing mail server runs Postfix 2.5.1 and Dovecot 1.0.10 and in
this case Dovecot runs fine (the /usr/lib/dovecot/imap directory does
also not exist and dovecot.conf is configured exactly on both
servers).

This are the uncommented parts of dovecot.conf

#Only use dovecot-auth
protocols = none
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "