[Dovecot] v1.2.alpha1 released

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sat Sep 6 11:22:52 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen schrieb:
> On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 10:05 +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Timo Sirainen schrieb:
>>> It's not in my plans, but Kolab people are probably going to need it, so
>>> maybe they'll implement it. :)
>>>
>>> And what do you mean by "not plugin"? It's most likely going to be a
>>> plugin in any case.
>>>
>> Sorry Timo i missposted you *g,
>> the problem is the file based acl ( whatever plugin or not ), i dont
>> know any
>> webmail etc which gives the users themselfs a chance
>> to make their own acls, editing files i.e via ftp is
>> very outdated, what dovecot needs is edit acls direct via the client
>> over imap like its in cyrus, so we can use horde or squirrel webmail
>
> The problem isn't really about making IMAP commands available for the
> ACL file creation, that's pretty easy to implement. The problem is that
> once the ACLs have been given the mailboxes should be visible to other
> users. That's more difficult to implement.

Hi Timo,

i understand, but that would dove make a really dreamy
imap server, especially in i.e full isp virtual setups
cause its a well needed feature for smaller workgroups,
sharing and delegating acls over user and public
mailboxes over imap controlled by users themselfes or by a an admin user
for me its a bleeding edge which can only be done by cyrus at present
( which i dont like so much by other reasons )
so i hope its comming in dove sometime in the future

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria