[Dovecot] Maildir: directory instead of file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 9 17:45:52 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 16:41 +0200, Luigi Rosa wrote:
> Since 1.0 sometimes happens that in the 'cur' directory of a maildir handled by
> Dovecot I find a directory instead of a file, just like this:
>
> drwx------ 2 mailvirtuale mailvirtuale    4096 Aug 25 15:11
> 1219669940.M113849P13510.gw.areanet.it:2,S
> drwx------ 2 mailvirtuale mailvirtuale   20480 Aug 25 09:49 :2,S
>
> This is the first time I find a directory named as a file, all other times I
> found a directory named just ":2,S"
..
> Aug 25 15:12:27 gw dovecot: IMAP(dsimonutti at areanet.it): Fixed a duplicate:
> /var/spool/mail/areanet.it/dsimonutti/cur/:2, ->
> 1219669940.M113849P13510.gw.areanet.it

Dovecot most likely saw :2, and :2,S and renamed the :2, one.

I've no idea why you get directories there in the first place though.
How often does the directory pop up there? I'd guess some kind of a
misconfiguration.

What OS and filesystem are you using? Is it possible to create
directories with empty names there? It really sounds like Dovecot sees
an empty directory in new/ and then renames it to :2, in cur/. But what
creates it into new/ in the first place, I've no idea.