[Dovecot] error in 1.1.2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 9 18:23:54 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 17:16 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:
> Oops, I do see a logline, just not in the error log. Weird.
>
> Sep  9 16:42:54 userimap3.xs4all.nl dovecot: IMAP(xxxxxxx): rename(/var/spool/mail/dovecot-control/indexes/d/dr/xxxxxxx/.Trash/dovecot.index.cache.lock, /var/spool/mail/dovecot-control/indexes/d/dr/xxxxxxx/.Trash/dovecot.index.cache) failed: No such file or directory
> Sep  9 16:42:54 userimap3.xs4all.nl dovecot: IMAP(xxxxxxx): Our dotlock file /var/spool/mail/dovecot-control/indexes/d/dr/xxxxxxx/.Trash/dovecot.index.cache.lock was deleted (kept it 61 secs)
> Sep  9 16:42:54 userimap3.xs4all.nl dovecot: IMAP(xxxxxxx): file_dotlock_replace() failed with index cache file /var/spool/mail/dovecot-control/indexes/d/dr/xxxxxxx/.Trash/dovecot.index.cache: No such file or directory

60 seconds is also when Dovecot decides the dotlock file is stale. So I
guess the cache file compression is taking longer than that. Hmm. I
hadn't thought about that before, since it was supposed to happen rarely
enough. But I guess during the compression other processes shouldn't be
stuck waiting for it. I'll have to think about something - probably make
the lock timeout only a couple of seconds and after that just fail to
update it.

But the cache compression really shouldn't take that long unless you're
really really running out of disk I/O. I wonder if there's some problems
with the locking / NFS caching. You do have mail_nfs_*=yes, right?