[Dovecot] Data loss from removing dovecot.index* files?

John Lightsey jd at cpanel.net
Tue Sep 9 18:36:07 EEST 2008

Hi there,

I've been rewriting the courier-dovecot-migrate script to handle
dovecot->courier conversions in addition to courier->dovecot.  One
issue I've found is that when the courier->dovecot conversion is
performed a second time (using --overwrite) and the dovecot-uidlist
file is written again, Dovecot starts generating errors when accessing
the maildir.  The simple fix is to remove all of the dovecot.index*
files so they are rebuilt when the maildir is scanned again.  Is it
safe to do this or is information stored in the index files that can't
be rebuilt by Dovecot the next time it scans the maildir?

J.D.