[Dovecot] Panic in Dovecot 1.1.3: index-mail.c: line 1091: assertion failed: (!mail->data.destroying_stream)

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Tue Sep 9 18:36:26 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen skrev:

>> IMAP process crashes for certain (many, but not all) users when
>> accessing certain folders (in the example below, in crashes when
>> accessing my INBOX, about 1700 mails). I could access other
>> mailboxes without problems. And a simple telnet to the imap port
>> followed by a login works fine.
>>

> Any idea what the users were doing when it crashed? Was it just opening
> the mailbox or opening some mail or deleting/copying mails?

I have set up the isolated test server now so that I can test this a bit
better. It crashes when I start
up a fresh Dovecot instance, start up Thunderbird and then click on the
INBOX on that server
(I rsync-copied the whole tree (my mails) to a separare, local,
directory so I can test things without
disturbing my normal mailbox).

I have noticed one more thing now since I sent that mail though - I
noticed that I didn't have
debug info in the binaries (originally compiled with "-fast -m64" for
high machine-specific
optimizations) so I recompiled with "-g" added to the compiler flags and
retested.
Same problem.

Then I removed all optimization flags (only compiled with "-g -m64" and
now it stopped crashing...
So my current thesis is that it is something in that code that optimizes
wrong (or when optimized
exposes some bug) for some reason.

Going to try some variants of optimization flags and compilers (have
some patches for the
Sun Studio 12 compilers that I'm going to apply too) and see if I can
narrow things down
a bit more.

>> Erased the coredumps (was filling up the system too quickly) so I
>> can't really produce a backtrace right now (had to back down to 1.0.13
>> again even though that one has another core-dump-generating problem -
>> but that is atleast limited to only one specific user so far). Going
>> to set up a separate test server to test things more without disturbing
>> our normal operations...
>>

> Some kind of a way to reproduce this would be helpful. Or I guess in
> your case even a backtrace, since all the previous ones have been with
> COPY command and mbox.

I'll send a backtrace in a little while.
>> mmap_disable: yes
>> mail_nfs_index: yes
>>

> BTW. these can be "no" if you're storing indexes locally.

Yeah, I know. I was just a leftover from the original server (I
originally stored the indexes in the Maildir folder,
but decided to store the locally while testing 1.1.3 so I wouldn't
disturb the 1.0.13 generated ones in case I
had to go back (which I did)).

- Peter