[Dovecot] error in 1.1.2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 9 21:47:35 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:39 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:
> > b) Some process is crashing and leaving stale dovecot.index.cache.lock
> > files lying around. But that'd have to be a .lock from another server,
> > because on the same server Dovecot checks to see if the PID exists and
> > if not it'll just override the lock immediately.
>
> That could be more likely. We have 30 servers operating on this spool,
> so if some of them have crashing processes that keep a .lock on a different
> server, that may cause issues right? Could even be from some old dovecot
> version? I checked last weeks logs, and i had almost no crashes. About 100
> 'killed with signal' log lines, out of a few zillion log entries.
>
> im doing a find now on dovecot.index.cache.lock files on our nfs indexes dir.

The old code was overriding the .cache.lock files if their mtime was
older than 1 minute. The new code is overriding them after 5 minutes. So
unless the processes keep crasing all the time it shouldn't be the
problem.

> > c) NFS caching problems: the .lock file was deleted by server1 but
> > server2 didn't see that, so it keeps assuming that the file exists long
> > after it was really gone.
>
> But what about this... im also seeing the same problem if I keep nfs=yes
> and dotlock on a local filesystem instead of NFS. That should exclude any
> multiple-nfs server issues right? Or will doing nfs=yes on a local FS give
> weird results?

Should work fine.

> I should just move everything to Linux..

I just tested on my kvm FreeBSD 7.0 installation. I can't reproduce it
there either with "imaptest logout=0".

But yes, Linux's NFS client implementation works better with Dovecot
than FreeBSD's, since FreeBSD's NFS caches can't be flushed reliably.