[Dovecot] 1.1.3: imap crashes with SIGSEGV

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 10 07:43:48 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 22:45 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
>
> > Wonder if there are some race condition issues that don't show up with
> > Core 2 duo, but do show up with 4 core / 2 CPUs. I know there are some
> > things I should probably not be doing (or should maybe add some memory
> > barrier code).

Could you try running these on the server for a while:

http://dovecot.org/tmp/memory-concurrent-rw.c
http://dovecot.org/tmp/memory-concurrent-rw-pread.c

I wrote them a while ago to test this memory behavior. They shouldn't
print anything if they're running successfully.

> > How often do you see those errors?
>
> Just once so far.

It's been more than once since I've seen you post the
mail_index_sync_ext_reset backtrace at least 3 times. :) But I actually
meant any errors (related to index files), not just this.

> > Does mmap_disable=yes change it?
>
> What's the performance impact of that?

Shouldn't be much, although it could use somewhat more memory since it's
trying to emulate mmap().