[Dovecot] Outlook 2003 and Thunderbird IMAP + getting new headers

Jan van den Berg jan.vandenberg at isp.solcon.nl
Wed Sep 10 11:29:54 EEST 2008

Hi,

We run 1.1.3 and I use Outlook to connect to my IMAP box and a couple of
times per day (randomly) when I click certain folders IMAP will start
retrieving ALL headers for that folder again ('retrieving new headers')!

I don't understand this. What triggers IMAP to do so, why not just retrieve
only the NEW headers?

Is it Dovecot or Outlook (probably) and what can be done about this? I
already use the Dovecot Outlook workarounds.

I have also gotten word that this behavior happens with Thunderbird.

This is really a problem causing a lot of load on our storage (I am not the
only user).

Cheers,

Jan