[Dovecot] Panic in Dovecot 1.1.3: index-mail.c: line 1091: assertion failed: (!mail->data.destroying_stream)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 10 21:22:42 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 15:46 +0200, Peter Eriksson wrote:
> > Attempting to read 4 bytes at address 0xffbff288
> >     which is 216 bytes above the current stack pointer
> > stopped in maildir_open (optimized) at line 429 in file
> "maildir-storage.c"
> >  429           if (stat(t_strconcat(path, "/dovecot-shared", NULL),
> &st) == 0) {
>
> Might be a false alarm, but might be worth checking out anyway.

I don't see how that code could be broken. It also goes fine through
valgrind.

> There seems to be a number of places in 'index-mail.c' that stores
> 'time_t' values in 'uint32_t' variables.
>
> This might cause problems since 'time_t' is 64 bit on 64 bit Solaris
> systems... (Definitely will cause some funny behaviour in the future
> when time_t values won't fit inside 32 bits ints :-)

It'll fit for the next 97 years. And I doubt it'll be a problem then
anymore.

> Optimizer incorrectly assuming that it doesn't need to refetch
> the variable value from the structure since it doesn't understand
> that the i_stream_unref(&mail->data.stream) call actually modifies
> the whole mail->data structure...
>
> Funny that both Gcc and Sun Studio seems to make the same
> assumptions in that case :-)

That is interesting.. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong there
though. I'll see if I can reproduce this and then try to reduce the test
case needed to catch this and then ask gcc people if it's really a bug.