[Dovecot] Question about subfolders

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Sep 10 23:21:48 EEST 2008

on 9-10-2008 5:58 AM Oliver Fromme spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an old dovecot installation (0.99.10.5) which
> is used as the back-end for a squirrelmail web mailer.
> Now I need to decide whether to update it to a newer
> version of dovecot or to switch to a different software.
>
> One feature that I really need is to be able to place
> messages and subfolders in a folder at the same time.
> This is with mbox format files (I can't use maildir).
> The old version of dovecot doesn't seem to support that,
> you can have either subfolders or messages in a folder,
> but not both.
>
> Does the current version 1.1.3 support it?
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver
>
> PS:  Please CC me because I'm not subscribed to the
> list.  Thank you very much!

You can't do that with mbox in any version of dovecot, and I don't think you
can do that in any other IMAP or POP3 server that I know of.
  IMHO if you want messages and sub-folders in the same folder you will need
maildir or maybe dbox when it is 100% stable.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and