[Dovecot] iphone connection problem

daz at feb17.org daz at feb17.org
Thu Sep 11 08:18:38 EEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:59:10AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 9/9/2008, Alan Premselaar (alien at 12inch.com) wrote:
> > Ahh, no, sorry I must have overlooked that part.  I'm just using
> > standard self-signed certificates on the server side.
>
> Then if this is a 3G iPhone, my last response is the solution.

Sorry for delay picking this up again - it's been so frustrating I needed to
take a break - have sunk too many hours into it.  To answer the various
questions,

* I was trying this with the original iphone (have subsequently tested with 3G, no difference).

* I am using self signed certs.  I am trying to use client certs, not just server certs.  I have been emailing p12 attachments
via gmail.  My attempts to download mobileconfig from webserver weren't successful.

If I understand the various suggestions:

* don't use a self-signed cert (I have made the self-CA and the mail certs slightly different),

* make the public CA cert available via webserver ( I have installed root cert via email and that didn't help).

I will try installing root cert via browser and see if that helps.  If that fails,  I'll try a proper CA, not
self signed.  I'm sceptical that's the problem.  If all that fails,  I'll just throw security overboard and stick
with simple password auth,  life is too short.  I'd still love an error message that meant something ;)

Darren