[Dovecot] API Examples?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 13 13:36:22 EEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 17:43 -0700, tcowin wrote:
> I need to write a little client to just get the 5 most recent email headers
> (and \Seen status) from the INBOX of  a given user. Are there any API
> examples anywhere that would speed this process along, or any spots in the
> source that would give me a jump start? or would it be better to act as an
> IMAP client?

I'd suggest doing it via IMAP:

1 login user pass (perhaps use master user logins - see wiki)
2 select inbox
[store $max = EXISTS's value]
3 fetch ($max-5):$max (body.peek[header] flags)

Dovecot's API is still changing between versions, but if you really want
to use it, you could see e.g. src/pop3/client.c init_mailbox() and
src/lib-storage/mail-storage.h for functions what you can do with a
struct mail (mail_get_flags(), mail_get_stream()).