[Dovecot] cram-md5 and users maintaining their own passwords?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 13 13:42:55 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 20:17 +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:
> Is there any other mechanism than using passwd files with md5-hashed
> passwords created by dovecotpw that will support cram-md5
> authentication?

You can use any "Lookup database" as listed in
http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase

> Has anyone created setups where the passwd databases reside in the
> individual users home directories?

passdb passwd-file {
  passwd-file = /home/%u/dovecot.passwd
}

The performance might not be that great though since it'll have to open
a lot of files. Also Dovecot never closes passwd files it has opened, so
this method won't work if you have a lot of users (I guess a few hundred
is still ok).

> Is it possible to persuade dovecotpw to update the passwd databases
> automatically.  Having to use a text editor to paste in the passwords
> sets a high user treshold on using the cram-md5 authentication
> mechanism.

Currently Dovecot is internally able to update passwords only in SQL
database. But dovecotpw can't currently update even that. Maybe some
day.