[Dovecot] cram-md5 and users maintaining their own passwords?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 13 19:18:44 EEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 14:48 +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 20:17 +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:
> >> Is there any other mechanism than using passwd files with md5-hashed
> >> passwords created by dovecotpw that will support cram-md5
> >> authentication?
>
> > You can use any "Lookup database" as listed in
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase
>
> But that includes passwd and shadow, and I thought they couldn't be
> used, even with md5 hashing of the passwords, because the md5 hash used
> was different to the one of cram-md5?
>
> If I can use the normal passwd/shadow of the system, that would be
> exactly what I want.

You can use shadow, but only if you can put the passwords there as
{cram-md5}password. That of course means that only Dovecot is able to
use such passwords. Also you can't modify the passwords with passwd
utility because it doesn't write compatible passwords. Maybe I should
mention this in the wiki page. :)