[Dovecot] Dovecot cannot unlink non-empty directory

Włodek Waligórski ratel at post.pl
Sun Sep 14 17:28:06 EEST 2008

Hi,

Currently I use dovecot 1.1.3 on Debian Testing. CPU arch is x86. Mail
is stored on ext3 fs.

I'm having a following problem with deleting folders (there is no
problem with creation of folders):

Error: IMAP(test at laptop.aonet.pl):
unlink_directory(/home/vpopmail/domains/laptop.aonet.pl/test/.//Maildir/..DOVECOT-TRASHED)
failed: Permission denied

HOW TO REPRODUCE
1. Create a fresh new account
2. Login to a new account and create folder say 'TestFolder'
3. When I try to delete TestFolder - it is deleted and ..DOVECOT-TRASHED
appears in user's Maildir AND

Error: IMAP(test at laptop.aonet.pl):
unlink_directory(/home/vpopmail/domains/laptop.aonet.pl/test/.//Maildir/..DOVECOT-TRASHED)
failed: Permission denied

message appears - it is triggered from line 815 of
dovecot-1.1.3/src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c

4. Create 'TestFolder2'
5. Trying to delete 'TestFolder2' gives the same error:

Error: IMAP(test at laptop.aonet.pl):
unlink_directory(/home/vpopmail/domains/laptop.aonet.pl/test/.//Maildir/..DOVECOT-TRASHED)
failed: Permission denied

this one however, is triggered from line 806 of
dovecot-1.1.3/src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c

6. The folder 'TestFolder2' is not deleted and from this point no other
newly created folders can be deleted too.

I. Yes, the file permissions are fine - all are writeable to (mail_uid =
 vpopmail)
II. The problem is - dovecot cannot unlink non-empty directory, I
artificially deleted contents of ..DOVECOT-TRASHED and dovecot allowed
folder deletion from client. After that situation was like in point 4.

-My-config------------------------------------------------------
# 1.1.3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /dev/stderr
info_log_path: /dev/stderr
log_timestamp:
listen: 127.0.0.1:143
ssl_listen: 0:993
ssl_cert_file: /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
ssl_key_file: /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
ssl_cipher_list: ALL:!LOW
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 89
last_valid_uid: 89
mail_uid: vpopmail
mail_gid: vchkpw
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mail_plugins: quota imap_quota
imap_client_workarounds: outlook-idle
auth default:
  user: vpopmail
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  passdb:
    driver: vpopmail
    args: quota_template=quota_rule=*:backend=%q
  userdb:
    driver: vpopmail
plugin:
  quota: maildir
  quota_rule: ?:storage=110485760
  quota_rule2: Trash:ignore
  quota_rule3: SPAM:ignore
  quota_warning: storage=90%% /usr/local/bin/imap-quota-warning 90

is this my mistake in configuration or is dovecot doing something wrong?

tnx for help,
-Włodek