[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA and quota

Jonas Christian code at vonposer.de
Tue Sep 16 18:54:40 EEST 2008

Hi List,

I recently upgraded to Dovecot 1.1.3 on FreeBSD and got into trouble
over the quotas. We implemented per-user quotas using

   plugin {
     quota = maildir
   }

and

   protocol lda {
     mail_plugins = quota
   }

We use a passwd-file userdb with extra fields, which used to be

   quota=maildir:storage:<bytes>

which I changed to

   quota_rule=*:bytes:<bytes>

What happens now is that deliver (the Dovecot LDA) only picks up the
quotas set in the maildirsize file in the user's homedir. It doesn't
pick up the quota set in the userdb.

Also, when I delete the maildirsize file, I doesn't get recreated by the
LDA and quotas don't get checked at all.

Any ideas? I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

Cheers,

Jonas