[Dovecot] Errors on high load

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Wed Sep 17 02:08:47 EEST 2008

Although my high load errors with different, the following might help.
Once I did the following system tuning, the errors went away (including
the infamous backtrace/maildir_transaction...). The following parameters
were cranked up (for dovecot,system, & mail) :

   open files => 32768
   locks => 32768
   maxsyslogins => 16384
   maxlogins => 4096
   max_user_instances => 2048

In RHE, the first four are in limits.conf and the last is in
/proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances. Probably all are not needed (in
particular maxlogins) but open files definitely made a different - lsof
was showing 24K files for dovecot & mail. My bottleneck was a piece of
old network gear and once the traffic settled down open file dropped to
4K (and load from 200 to 0.5)

These might not address your particular problem but system tuning could
address the memory corruption error. These settings also got rid of my
error messages under low load.

It is also probably worth while to shut the system down and run memory
test (i.e. memtest86+ - or if it is under maintenance just get it replaced)

---Jack