[Dovecot] Converting from MBOX to Maildir broke procmail and Spamassasin and halted incoming mail

Dan Roberts dan at jlazyh.com
Wed Sep 17 21:39:42 EEST 2008

I could use some help here -

As I use Dovecot I started here when trying to figure out why I could
not add new mail folders under my Mac's Mail program, but could under
Thunderbird.

It was quickly pointed out that my system was set up to use MBOX and
not MAILDIR, and some helpful links and notes were sent back and forth
giving me a good clue as to how to perform the conversion process.

I did have success in getting my mail accounts converted from mbox to
maildir, but then ran aground.

I could see all of my existing mail and create new folders, but I
could not see any of my incoming mail.

What I was late in realizing was that I needed to also adjust the
settings for my LDA, which as I am using sendmail is procmail, and it
was suggested that I needed to adjust /etc/procmail to include the line

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

I did that, but new mail still didn't show up correctly.   I can only
assume that I have something still not properly adjusted in my
procmail settings.

Given that I got everything else to work, and even successfully
upgraded dovecot, it was very frustrating to set everything back to
square one with mbox so that I had a functioning system once again.
I am about to have some time on my hands and am going to try again -
but this time I thought I would ask for help before I possibly loose
my ability to receive new mail - makes reading those suggestions very
hard.

At present, my etc/procmailrc file is like this.
-----------
[dan at trailrunner etc]$ cat procmailrc
# send mail through SpamAssassin
:0 fw
* < 256000
| /usr/bin/spamc -f
-----------

In each users Home directory I have a .procmailrc file that further
directs things on a user level.
For my directory this file is currently
---------------
[dan at trailrunner ~]$ cat .procmailrc
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

PROBABLYJUNK = /home/dan/mail/probably-spam

:O H
* ^X-Spam-Status:.*Yes
{
EXITCODE=67
:0:
probably-spam
}
---------------

I admit that I set up Spamassasin some years ago and though I have
updated things now and then, I don't recall all of the reasoning
behind the setup - just know that it has been working.

Whether I put the new line "DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/" in one file, the
other or both - I got no incoming mail.  My guess was that I had
offended promail in one way or another.

So, as I prepare to do the MBOX to MAILDIR conversion once again, does
anyone have any guidance to offer for how to properly adjust the
procmail files so that I can continue to filter spam?

Much appreciated.

Cheers -
dan