[Dovecot] Possible bug involving LDA and Namespaces

Allen Belletti allen at isye.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 19 17:52:19 EEST 2008

Hi All,

Yesterday I began experimenting with using LDA to do delivery.  To begin
with I'm using a .forward file entry for myself so as to avoid affecting
other users.  When "deliver" is passed an item to deliver, the following
is logged:

> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Info: Namespace: type=private,
> prefix=INBOX., sep=., inbox=yes, hidden=no, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Info: maildir:
> data=/home/cns/allen/Maildir
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Info: maildir++:
> root=/home/cns/allen/Maildir, index=, control=,
> inbox=/home/cns/allen/Maildir
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Info: Namespace: type=private,
> prefix=INBOX/, sep=/, inbox=no, hidden=yes, list=yes, subscriptions=yes
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Info: maildir:
> data=/home/cns/allen/Maildir
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Info: maildir++:
> root=/home/cns/allen/Maildir, index=, control=, inbox=
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Error: namespace configuration error:
> All list=yes namespaces must use the same separator
> deliver(allen): Sep 18 19:28:52 Fatal: Namespace initialization failed
Note that we have an "extra" namespace defined as this seemed to be
required in order for Mac Mail.app to function properly.  That namespace
is defined with "list = no" as can be seen in the following dovecot.conf
excerpt:

> namespace private {
>   separator = .
>   prefix = INBOX.
>   inbox = yes
> }
>
> # For Mac Mail.app
> namespace private {
>   list = no
>   separator = /
>   prefix = INBOX/
>   inbox = no
>   hidden = yes
> }
Nonetheless, when deliver starts up it believes that both namespaces
have "list = yes".  Is this potentially a bug in the way deliver reads
the configuration file data?  I've not looked into the code yet as I
imagine that getting up to speed on it might take some time.  As another
data point, actually logging in via IMAP and running "list "" "*"" shows
only one namespace.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen