[Dovecot] Lots of assertion PANICs in error log

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 22 23:53:57 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 14:24 -0500, Eric Jon Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> >> This patch should help:
> >> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/8cc0eaec7d0f
> >
> > I applied that patch last night, and I'm still seeing the same errors...
> > So unless I didn't get the patch right, there is still something amiss...
>
> As way of an update, I could never fix this with 1.1.2, but I recently
> upgraded to 1.1.3 and I'm still seeing the problem, but A LOT less...
>
> Right now, since upgrading to 1.1.3, I have 1 user, and only 1 user,
> triggering
> this same assert.

Does it include "UIDVALIDITY changed" error before the assert? I finally
got around to fixing that:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/471b0096b579

> I have two other users who each triggered another assert a single time each:
>
> dovecot: Panic: IMAP(user): file message-parser.c: line 129
> (message_parser_read_more): assertion failed: (ctx->input->eof ||
> ctx->input->stream_errno != 0)

I'm not sure about this, but these patches add some more asserts to
cause it to happen earlier:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/983f82053800
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/336eabeae7fd
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/a1a14d67b15d

> I also get the occasional error of "Next message unexpectedly lost from ..."
> for some users.

I've added some debugging code to my code to figure out why this is
happening. Unfortunately I've been reading my mails over a week without
it happening..