[Dovecot] Debugging password schemes

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Tue Sep 23 20:42:26 EEST 2008

Hi, all.

I managed to get my new password scheme routine written, but a couple of
things:

1.  The example module lacks an init routine.  Since I used it as a
model, my module also lacks one.  As such, my newly-built module is seen
but not registered.  In the meantime, I moved the routines into
password-scheme.c instead where I had access to all the MD5 routines
already set up for me.

2.  Once in password-scheme.c and modified to the point where it builds
without warnings or errors and it doesn't gag on itself, it doesn't seem
to work properly.

What's the best way to debug password-scheme.c so I can see what's going
on so I can fix things accordingly?  I have to "manually" break apart
the value stored in a database a bit differently than other salted
values (it's using salted MD5 values a bit differently than normal).
The password format from a Post.Office server, but apparently, Netscape
Messaging Server uses this same format.

Thanks!

--Ian.

--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker.  Anime fan.  Any questions?