[Dovecot] [Dovecot 1.1.3] Strange problem with attachment download

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Sep 24 19:54:21 EEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 9/24/2008, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI (eduardo at kalinowski.com.br) wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest trying first with another client to see if it's not an
>> issue with Thunderbird, which in my opinion is not very good at handling
>> attachments in imap.
>>

> Been working fine for us on 60+ computers for years, with only one issue
> - dragging attachments from the email to the local filesystem
> *sometimes* hangs TBird - but right-click > Save As works every time...

Actually I agree with the OP.  Thunderbird "works" with attachments, but
it's handling seems very creaky... (I'm a big fan of TB by the way!)

Stuff which annoys me is that it seems to download the attachment every
time it's needed and in particular it seems to download it instantly as
soon as you open a message (OE only downloads the text and gets the
attachment only if you access it - I get a bunch of MB sized attachments
from time to time and opening these messages just to review the text of
the message is very slow and ponderous)

So yes, always test with something else to confirm a bug!

Ed