[Dovecot] cyrus2dovecot description on the wiki

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Sep 24 20:36:43 EEST 2008

* Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> [2008-09-24 12:12]:
> On 9/24/2008 11:47 AM, Steinar Bang wrote:
> > The wiki page says "cyrus2dovecot doesn't preserve timestamps or flags"
> > 	http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Cyrus
> >
> > However, the cyrus2dovecot home page says:
> >  "Virtually all available metadata is preserved during the
> >   conversion. This includes the UID and INTERNALDATE of each message,
> >   the IMAP folder subscriptions, the UIDVALIDITY and UIDNEXT values for
> >   each folder, as well as all IMAP flags (i.e., \Recent, \Seen,
> >   \Answered, \Flagged, \Draft, \Deleted) and the first 26 user-defined
> >   keywords."
> >
> > Which to me sounds like the opposite of what the dovecot wiki says.
> >
> > Perhaps the wiki should be updated?
>
> Looks like there are 2 different scripts.

Yes, indeed.  We (Freie Universität Berlin) published our Cyrus2Dovecot
just a few days ago.  Unlike the older script, ours _does_ try hard to
preserve all available metadata, and this should actually work with all
Cyrus versions (tested with both the oldest and the newest available
Cyrus release, that is, 1.4 and 2.3.12p2, and with various database
formats).  Apart from that, ours provides a few additional features we
needed for our conversion which might also be useful to others, such as
renaming (or moving) folders using s/regex/replacement/ substitutions.

> But yeah, if the one you referenced above works well, the wiki should be
> changed to reflect use of this new one (with the permission of the
> author of course)...

We now added our Cyrus2Dovecot to the wiki page.

Holger