[Dovecot] Dovecot performance on GFS clustered filesystem

Diego Liziero diegoliz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:18:59 EEST 2008

I've read somewhere that one of gfs2 goals was to improve performance
for directory access with many files.

I've tested it doing a simple ls in a directory with many test empty
files in gfs and it was _really_ slow, doing the ls on a gfs2 with the
same amount of emtpy files is actually faster.

But when I tested gfs2 with bonnie++ I got fewer sequential I/O speed
than in gfs (consider that I tested a beta version of gfs2 some months
ago, maybe things are better now).

So my conclusion of the tests was that gfs is best with mbox, gfs2
beta with maildir.

But, again, I haven't tested gfs2 improvements recently.

Regards,
Diego.