[Dovecot] Quota exceeded message

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Fri Sep 26 16:46:23 EEST 2008

On 09/26/2008 09:11 AM Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I just realized that "quota" word probably doesn't mean much to many
> non-native english speakers. Do even non-technical native speakers
> understand what "Quota exceeded" really means?

Many do not understand, based on the support calls I receive asking what
these types of messages mean.

> It's sent by quota plugin, currently in two different situations:
>
> 1) To the user doing the operation via IMAP COPY/APPEND.
> 2) More importantly: If deliver rejects the mail, it's sent to the sender.
>
> Here are some ideas for improvements:
>
> "Mail storage disk quota exceeded"
> "User's mail storage disk quota exceeded"
> "Quota exceeded - not enough disk storage capasity for the user"
>
> Any better ideas? I think it should mention "quota" word in any case so
> that people who understand it would know immediately what the error
> message is about.

"mailbox is full" seems to be the phrase that people understand best -
it's the phrase they use when their physical mail box (postal box) is
full. So maybe:

"Mailbox for $user is full - quota exceeded" or

"Mail storage for $user is full - quota exceeded"

I don't know if "full" translates well into other languages. Unlike you
and so many others on this list, I only speak one language.

Ron