[Dovecot] Managesieve Quota

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 29 13:18:25 EEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 09:40 -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Has anyone (is anyone) working on adding quota support to dovecot's
> managesieve server? I was thinking about giving it a shot myself and I'd
> hate to duplicate work. It would be something very basic like a max
> bytes setting and the total sieve storage per user isn't allowed to
> exceed it.

I think it would be nice to be able to use the standard quota plugin
with managesieve so that all the same backends and configuration could
be used. The main problem I see is:

Does anyone want (or need) to have the mail and sieve quota shared,
instead of specifying separate limits for them?

With shared quota the code will probably have to have some kind of sieve
hardcoding or write some kind of state files so it knows where to look
when recalculating quota. So preferrably no-one needs this. :)

So without shared quota they could be configured as "sievestorage" and
"sievefiles" which would also be visible using IMAP quota commands.
Configuration could go like:

quota = dict:::proxy::quota
quota_rule = *:storage=100M:sievestorage=1M:sievefiles=10

I guess this would currently complain about "sievestorage" and
"sievefiles" being unknown settings, so perhaps the idea would still
need some more thinking. I suppose the idea of showing the sieve quota
in IMAP process could be dropped and instead the quota_rule would just
be different for IMAP and managesieve processes with both using
storage/messages limits.

And of course the quota plugin would need to be modified so that it
supports counting arbitrary files instead of only messages.