[Dovecot] Initial support for shared mailboxes

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Tue Sep 30 11:46:40 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:
> Well, I actually started it today since it's needed for replication:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/6dd0c6755afe
>
> Mailboxes can't be listed yet (and I'm not planning on implementing that
> anytime soon), but if you add the wanted mailboxes to subscriptions they
> should be usable by clients. Configuration goes like:
>
> namespace shared {
>   separator = /
>   # %%u gets expanded to the remote user. Instead of %%u you can
>   # also use %%n and %%d.
>   prefix = shared/%%u/
>   location = Maildir:/home/%%u/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
> }

Sounds great, and it's an essential feature we need to make Dovecot work
with Kolab Server.

Is there a %%h, too?  So that, if we have

  mail_location = maildir:~

we can say:

  namespace shared {
    separator = /
    prefix = users/%%u/
    location = Maildir:%%h:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
  }

To make user-mailboxess accessible for other users?
If not, how hard would it be to implement?

Another (more specific) problem in this context: Is is it possible to
determine a users home calling an external program like checkpassword?
This would be needed in an setup, where the users $HOME is set by an
checkpassword program to an compute value, to access another users
mailbox.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                      OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück             http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/