[Dovecot] Initial support for shared mailboxes

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Tue Sep 30 18:48:47 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

>>> ..
>>>
>>> This would require doing a userdb lookup from dovecot-auth the same
>>> way
>>> as deliver or expire-tool does it.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "this" here, are you referring to
>> the proposed `%%h' variable, too or only to my more specific problem
>> with computer HOME paths?
>
> I think it's the same thing.

Is it?  I might be wrong, but i thought for configurations where userdb
doesn't depend on the passdb implementing %%h as the home directory of
user %%u should be straight forward.  Or am I missing something?

[...]
>> So I guess what is needed is a new userdb backend which is explicitly
>> runs an arbitrary external program to get the user data (instead of
>> caching the passdb results).
>
> Right. Perhaps the passdb checkpassword code could be used as userdb
> too,

God, so we will try to go this way.

> just with an added extra variable specifying if it's a passdb or
> a userdb lookup. Or maybe instead of sending "user \0 pass \0" it'd
> just send "user". I'm not really sure. In any case I think the reply
> should be handled somewhat differently so that the checkpassword can't
> accidentally think it's doing a userdb lookup while it's really doing
> a passdb lookup and return success.

Ack.  I or someone else from the Kolab/Dovecot team will write a short
proposal on the list as soon as we have one... ;-)

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                      OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück             http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/