[Dovecot] dbox with non-dovecot LDA

Justin Krejci jkrejci at usinternet.com
Wed Apr 1 19:12:55 EEST 2009

Aside from the code is there any documentation on using dbox with a
non-Dovecot LDA?

We have our own MTA and currently use Dovecot with Maildir only for message
retrieval and just have our MTA write the message files to our own directory
structure (Dovecot per user mailbox locations stored in mysql) but I am
interested in looking at moving to dbox if it is better for performance and
other things like static filenames. One thing we'd like to do is not use the
Dovecot LDA so as to control the entire inbound email delivery process all
the way to verifying the actual message is 100% written to disk. Certainly
we can use the Dovecot LDA if it came to it but we'd like to retain control
over this entire process if possible.