[Dovecot] Slightly OT : Maildir format (silly) questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 2 00:21:53 EEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:45 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 06:23:28PM -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > No. Maybe a more understandable example would have been ~/Maildir/ and
> > ~/Maildir/.bar/. If MDA only gets that one path (so it doesn't know
> > the "maildir root dir"), it uses a simple rule to figure out where to
> > update maildirsize file: Do I have maildirfolder file? If so, use
> > parent dir. If not, use current dir.
>
> You mean the only reason to use a flat layout (hierarchy emulation like
> .folder.subfolder.subsubfolder) is to know where to update the file which store
> the Maildir size ?

Yes.

> Sounds strange : why not calculate Maildir size ?

What "Maildir size"? The MDA doesn't necessarily know what the "root
maildir" is. The path may not have "Maildir/" string anywhere in it. For
example if you told MDA to deliver a mail to Maildir in /foo/bar/baz,
should it write the maildirsize to /foo, /foo/bar or /foo/bar/baz?

> And regarding quotas : can I
> have a quota on some folder and a quota on some of its subfolder(s) ? If yes,
> wouldn't that change the problem ?

You mean separate quotas for different mailboxes? No, not possible
currently.