[Dovecot] v 1.1.13 / GSSAPI / Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 2 21:30:40 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 15:31 +0100, Jahnke-Zumbusch, Dirk wrote:
> dovecot: Info: auth(default): gssapi(?,131.169.40.218): Obtaining
> credentials for imap at my.host.name
> dovecot: Error: imap-login: Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server.
> my pid=3918, input bytes=0
>
> 1. I am puzzled about the credentials "imap at my.host.name" being obtained;
> shouldn't this be
>    something like "imap/my.host.name at MY.REALM" ?

I don't know anything about Kerberos.

> 2. what does "Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server." mean? Who is
> trying to
>    handshake with whom?

This anyway means that dovecot-auth process is hanging for over 30
seconds. Probably the "obtaining credentials" is taking for a long time.
But why that is, I've no idea.

Although this does remind me that GSSAPI should be handled in
auth-worker processes instead of the main dovecot-auth process..