[Dovecot] Quota calculation problem with 1.2 beta 4

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 3 01:38:45 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 12:18 +0200, Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de wrote:
> I made several experiments with quota settings and userdb while mail_debug
> was on. Here are my findings:
>
> After changing /etc/userdb and modifying my
> userdb_quota_rule=*:storage=200M with an editor the IMAP GETQUOTAROOT does
> immediately report the changed value. The ~user/Maildir/maildirsize
> content does however not change and according to the maillog output the
> quota calculation is done based on the contents of that file.

The limits in maildirsize file are ignored by Dovecot as long as you
defined quota_rules. So don't bother looking at them.

> If I do delete that file after changing the contents of the users INBOX
> the file gets regenerated with the contents from the quota rule (i.e.
> 900MB, see below) and not with the value from the userdb (200M)

Then it means that Dovecot didn't see the userdb_quota_rule for some
reason. Do you mean here that deliver didn't regenerate it correctly?

> If then I do another IMAP GETQUOTAROOT the correct value is reported again
> (200M) and the contents of ~user/Maildir/maildirsize is changed to that
> value as well.

It's again beginning to sound like deliver isn't doing a userdb lookup
and getting the userdb_quota_rule.

> This is however not the only finding. I manipulated further my userdb
> quota and did set it to 90MB. Shortly after that another user (Quota
> 900MB) received a mail. The debug output for that mail delivery:
>
> dovecot: deliver(user2): Quota warning: bytes=89653 2480 (95%)...
>
> indicates that my settings were used instead for quota calculation.

So wrong user's userdb_quota_rule was used? That doesn't really make any
sense..