[Dovecot] Maildir files with mtime in the future

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Fri Apr 3 18:30:00 EEST 2009

* Ben Winslow <rain at bluecherry.net> [2009-04-03 10:59]:
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 01:14:47 +0200
> Holger Weiss <holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE> wrote:
> > I'd guess most backup software will include files with an mtime newer
> > than the time of the previous backup in incremental backups.  At
> > least, Bacula[*] and Veritas NetBackup do it that way.
>
> Aren't IMAP messages supposed to be immutable?  If the actual message
> is changed, it should reappear as a new file/message, and therefore be
> backed up because it didn't exist in the previous backup run.

The problem with an mtime in the future is that the file in question
will be backed up again and again with every incremental backup run even
though the file is unchanged.

Holger