[Dovecot] dbox benchmarks

Felix SchŸueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Fri Apr 3 10:37:03 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2009, at 10:08 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>
>> I can see where large mailservers would benefit from significant write
>> performance increases - but unless the server is being actively
>> limited by the local delivery agent, what other performance benefits
>> does this offer?
>>
>> In particular, is there any increase in READ performance by using dbox?
>
> Should be, since the files are larger there is most likely less
> fragmentation. But it's more difficult to benchmark read performance in
> a realistic way.
>
>>  Does it reduce memory consumption at all?
>
> Maybe a bit, but that's probably irrelevant.

what's most relevant for us about dbox: Backups. We have lots of
customers with huge maildirs, and Backups are taking forever (just
having to fstat >100k entries takes a while, then all the individual
stuff for all the new messages...). Go dbox! :)

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of NOC

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - D-51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: (0800) 4 67 83 87 - Telefax: (01805) 66 32 33
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - UST ID DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller