[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Wed Apr 8 21:47:09 EEST 2009

Charles Marcus wrote:
> heh... well, they would soon enough...
>
> Seriously though... why call it a 'local delivery agent', when its
> really more than that? Local suggests local/system users, and dovecot
> delivery agent works fine for both local and virtual users. Postfix
> calls its local delivery agent 'local', and its virtual delivery agent
> 'virtual'

It's local because it stores e-mails somewhere in the local filesystem
hierarchy, instead of sending it to a remote machine via SMTP (or any
other protocol).

I don't know postfix a lot, but I wonder why it needs two LDAs, one for
real users and one for virtual ones, when the only conceptual difference
should be where to store e-mails and where to lookup information on the
existence of the user and his mail spool directory.

--
A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br