[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Wed Apr 8 22:09:59 EEST 2009

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 4/8/2009, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI (eduardo at kalinowski.com.br) wrote:
>
>> It's local because it stores e-mails somewhere in the local filesystem
>> hierarchy, instead of sending it to a remote machine via SMTP (or any
>> other protocol).
>>

> But thats not the generally accepted meaning of local in context of
> email servers.

I don't know what is the generally accepted, but to me virtual users are
just as local as real users, they just don't have a proper account
(because there is no need to).

>  Besides, this isn't true if you're using NFS...

Not quite... in the point of view of a program, writing to a NFS share
or a filesystem in the same machine is the same thing, the program
doesn't even have to know that it's storing a file in another machine.
And mail is not being "transported", which would involve another MTA
that would further handle the e-mail.

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br