[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Tom Metro tmetro+dovecot at vl.com
Thu Apr 9 02:32:55 EEST 2009

Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> "deliver" has nothing to do with the listening daemons.  So having the
> "lda" configuration in the dovecot.conf file might be inappropriate - I
> would suggest splitting that off to a "dovecot-lda.conf" file (or
> whatever you change the delivery agent name to).

I found the combination of configuration for IMAP and LDA to be a bit
unnatural as well, with little to no overlap between the two. And so I
ended up splitting them up so that I could have each logging to
different places (IMAP to its own file, as it doesn't relate to mail
delivery), and their own base_dir.

I also created a separate init script (or more accurately, modified the
stock Debian init script so that I cold symlink to it, and it would load
a matching config from /etc/defaults to get the non-default config file
used by deliver).

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> ...inside protocol lda {} it can also override all settings from
> dovecot.conf.

I might not have been aware of that at the time I set up deliver, or ran
into complications with it. I don't recall. In any case, I prefer the
logical separation. Delivery and access are related, but still quite
separate functions.

  -Tom