[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Thu Apr 9 14:46:53 EEST 2009

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 4/8/2009, Tom Metro (tmetro+dovecot at vl.com) wrote:
> > I ended up splitting them up so that I could have each logging to
> > different places (IMAP to its own file, as it doesn't relate to mail
> > delivery),
>
> I like this idea (of splitting the logging)...

As do I and many others.

> Maybe this would be a good thing to be able to specify in the config
> file? POP, IMAP and LDA logging each to their own files...
>
> Or, is there a simple way to do this with syslog-ng (I'm not a
> programmer, so be kind)?

You could do this with syslog(-ng), or you could just specify the log_path
and info_log_path variables in dovecot.conf.  For example, in my protocol lda
{} declaration, I have:

   log_path = /var/log/deliver.log
   info_log_path = /var/log/deliver.log

Read the documentation and try something similar:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>