[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Thu Apr 9 17:05:00 EEST 2009

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 4/9/2009 7:46 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> >> I like this idea (of splitting the logging)...
> >
> > As do I and many others.
> >
> > You could do this with syslog(-ng), or you could just specify the log_path
> > and info_log_path variables in dovecot.conf.  For example, in my protocol lda
> > {} declaration, I have:
> >
> >    log_path = /var/log/deliver.log
> >    info_log_path = /var/log/deliver.log
> >
> > Read the documentation and try something similar:
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging
>
> Doesn't specifically mention separating out POP and IMAP... but...

The documentation would quickly become cluttered if it included an example of
every little iteration of each configuration variable.

> Extrapolating from your example, I can I just:
>
> protocol imap {
>   log_path = /var/log/imap.log
>   info_log_path = /var/log/imap.log
> }
> protocol pop3 {
>   log_path = /var/log/pop3.log
>   info_log_path = /var/log/pop3.log
> }

Seems reasonable.  Try and see for yourself.  And if you go this route, you
may want to configure log rotation, via newsyslog(8) perhaps.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>