[Dovecot] Panic: file mempool-system.c: line 104

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 9 23:48:09 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 23:41 +0300, Martins Lazdans wrote:
> Ok, I unblocked that IP and started Dovecot with
> `ulimit -c unlimited && /usr/local/sbin/dovecot`
> and will see if that IP will return.
>
> But I totally forgot I am using Google`s perf-tools
> (http://code.google.com/p/google-perftools/) tcmalloc library. Maybe
> that library is faulty and/or incompatible with Dovecot?

Oh. That's the most likely reason. Dovecot is using this non-standard
malloc_usable_size() function. Maybe your tcmalloc doesn't implement it
and instead glibc's version gets called which then causes it to return
wrong size. And the reason why this happens rarely is because Dovecot
rarely calls realloc() function.

> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libtcmalloc.so

Dovecot clears environment when calling child processes, so I think this
only makes it use the tcmalloc in dovecot master process.

Anyway if you want to keep using tcmalloc, you could comment out
HAVE_MALLOC_USABLE_SIZE from config.h and reinstall.