[Dovecot] auth-master: Permission denied [sigh]

James Butler jbutler at thebestdefense.com
Wed Apr 15 00:17:06 EEST 2009

Oh, that was fun.

Making the change below resulted in mail getting deferred with "Fatal:
destination user parameter (-d user) not given" ... which apparently is
caused by running deliver as 'root'!
(http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=dovecot-general&a=2008-02&t=6558196)

So I am back to:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root dovecot 4044835 2009-04-03 13:52 deliver

which doesn't produce the error and delivers the mail. Still no joy with
Postfix+Spamassassin+Dovecot.

This is unbelievably hard to get going. I started with the default
installations of everything on a brand new system. I only made minimal
changes as indicated by the docs. Then I made small changes as indicated
by this and other mailing lists. I always reverted back to the original
defaults between each effort. Now I'm just stumped.

I'm not a newbie ... I've been administrating public servers for over 10
years, and using and working on the Internet since 1968! This is just the
first time I've tried to use Postfix+Spamassassin+Dovecot. Previous
installations have all used Sendmail+Spamassassin+Dovecot with zero
issues. I want the benefits of using the Maildir storage system, but the
past two weeks of trying to get this going are making me question whether
that benefit is worth it.

Can anyone please post their successful Postfix+Spamassassin+Dovecot setup
for me to learn from? I would really appreciate it.

James